Monday, April 13, 2009

A little more about The Shack...

I feel I need to say a couple of things on this book. I am loving the topics that are being addressed, however, I am not reading this instead of the Bible. This book is a theodicy (a defense of how God can still be God and yet temporarily tolerate evil in this world) and should be read as that but not in place of the real thing, the words Jesus spoke about Himself, His Father and the Holy Spirit. The words I have been challenged by aren't ones that contradict what Jesus says in the gospels. What I have loved about this book is the subject of how much God does love us and desires to have a relationship with us and that He works outside of "the box" we so often put Him in.

This book is written by a man and, lets face it, humans can't fully understand God because He is too big and too smart for us. What we can receive from this book is that God works even in the traumatic evil of this world. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater--There are some really good thoughts and heartfelt encouragement in the chapters--just don't take your theology from it by always imagining God as an Aunt Jemima character or the Holy Spirit as a small Asian woman. The author's point of writing this book was not to show the trinity, but to show us how much God loves us even in the confusing and gut-wrenching pain we experience in life. If you read it in this light you won't get tripped up on other issues and if you really have issues with it you are always welcome to stop reading it. It just might not be the book for you at this time. I better get going...Blessings to you all.

PS You are welcome to comment or ask a question if you have concerning this book...

1 comment:

  1. I read "The Shack" and I write reviews for Viewpoints and published a review on the book last September. Check out my review http://www.viewpoints.com/The-Shack-review-692b5 I'm glad you were finally able to read the book. I have many opportunities to share my testimony when I have seen people reading this book or heard a discussion about it. God always makes Himself made known to mankind if they would just stop, look and listen and have a willing heart to humble themselves unto the will of God. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete