Saturday, January 31, 2009

About Josh...

What is it about marriage that can make you so accustomed to that person you look right over them sometimes. Tonight I sat on the rocking chair in the living room and watched him walk across the room to close the curtains. I see him all the time but this time I watched him as if I weren’t used to living with him everyday but instead as a woman watching a man with broad shoulders, back straight, long legs. I watched him come towards me and bend over my chair, his green eyes close to mine. I've always loved his eyes. And then he kissed me and for a moment I couldn’t catch my breath.
When you are married you get so used to that person and you don’t think twice about a kiss when it’s in passing, but there are those brief moments when it feels like you are sitting in his Toyota pickup truck on a dark night at a golf course and he leans into to kiss you for the first time. My heart stopped for a moment and I silently begged for time to stop so I could hold onto this feeling once again. That same feeling I had so many years ago when we were young and kissing was the only thing allowed. There is something mysterious and alluring of that special someone putting their lips on yours for the first time.
One of my favorite treasures about Josh is his laughter. I cherish the sound of it. Funny movies are no longer enjoyable to watch without him next to me laughing his way through it. The first night Josh and I ever really talked was in college and he walked around the campus with me for three hours. I had never laughed so hard and long as I did that evening. We talked about so many things that night, most of which I can no longer remember, except for one part. I think I asked Josh if he laughed out loud even if he was by himself and he said yes. Halleluiah!!! I thought I was the only one who ever did that sort of thing. It had always been a joke in my family that I would laugh even if I was alone and I had a feeling I was weird because of it. Soon after my sister met Josh she told me she had never seen me so happy before. I honestly don’t remember laughing so much in my life until that one wonderful evening with Josh by my side. I remember looking up at him, seeing his dimpled cheeks, his smiling eyes and hearing his contagious laughter echo against the school buildings. Even when we’re old and gray I think that night will be one of my favorite memories of all time. I can’t help but smile even now as I sit here twelve years, four children and two widened hips later. Every time he laughs I go back to that early autumn evening when I began laughing for the first time.

The stars were out
The night was cool
You never noticed
I was looking at you

I listened to your voice
To the tales you told
My heart skipped several beats
Imagining my hand yours would hold

Your green eyes sparkled
On your mouth was a smile
I couldn’t stop laughing
As we walked all that while

A year and a half later
Toward you I walked
This time dressed in white
Your eyes with mine locked

We were young and passionate
Just twenty-one and twenty-three
Reveling in the bliss
Not knowing yet how hard life can be

We’ve been walking together
For eleven years now
Wasn’t it just yesterday
We said our vows?

Four tow-headed children
And several moves later
We’ve put some miles on our romance
Some I don’t care to remember

We have grown up together
I know we still have far to go
But in fifty years when we are old
You will still be the man that makes me glow

3 comments:

  1. Is it weird that I cried while reading this..yes it is! Lets keep that our little secret!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, good stuff. Marriage is an amazing thing! Hope you guys have a great anniversary

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.K. I'm with Jared. I just sat here with tears running down my face reading this. I'm so Thankful that after 11 years of marriage you are still so passionate about this guy! It is a sweet thing to grow up together and then grow old together. Wishing you many more happy years of wedded bliss! Keep up the writing!

    ReplyDelete