Thursday, February 26, 2009

About Trevor...

“It’s a Boy!” the doctor exclaimed.
“What’s his name?” somebody asked.
“His name is Trevor Joshua,” Josh proudly answered. The voices drifted out of my thoughts. My heart was breaking. A boy? I thought I had prayed and begged and pleaded for a girl. Didn’t the Lord hear my prayers?
Everything else faded into a blur as they cleaned and measured him. I lay in bed in a daze as I watched the nurses, doctor and loved ones talking, congratulating and laughing. My heart sank deeper into the mire of depression that had started months earlier. An hour later everyone went home, leaving the room strangely quiet. Monitors were turned off and blood pressure cuff removed from my arm. A percocet-induced sleep finally claimed my troubled mind.
Morning light drifted through the windows waking me up from my deep sleep. The silence of the room rang in my ears after the commotion from a few hours before. Strange medicinal smells surrounded me and I gently rolled to my side in order to relieve my numb backside, wishing desperately for a shower. There was a TV on the wall across from me and my bags lay in a corner. Josh slept soundly, softly snoring in the makeshift bed next to mine. On the other side of the bed stood a gigantic wooden cupboard that I knew kept medical equipment but all were turned off and closed up to give a more pleasing atmosphere to the sanitized room.
Gazing around the room my eyes paused at the clear plastic bassinet a few feet away from me. There lay a small boy wrapped in a white blanket with a blue beanie on his head. He slept soundly and in that moment I forgot he wasn’t what I had prayed fervently for.
I eased out of my bed and gingerly walked to him. His tiny fingers were closed in a fist, pink cheeks showed a hint of a dimple, and his lips formed the perfect pout. I swallowed the tears as I gently picked him up and cradled him. He snuggled into my arms and sighed contentedly. In that moment I fell in love with the little boy I didn’t know I wanted.
The next several months I fought to come out of a depression that had been brought on by medical complications. During that time I loved Trevor even more and I saw firsthand how the Lord answers prayers. Like a good father, He gives us what we need even when we don’t know what it is. I thought I needed a girl, but God knew what I needed was this little boy whom he designed specifically for a purpose. He has a special plan for this little boy and an important lesson for me to learn.
Now that I am out of that dark tunnel I see the journey the Lord has taken me on over the last six years. And oh what a sweet journey it has been with Him and Trevor. When I pray to the Lord now I hold onto the truth that if he answers with a ‘no’ it’s because he has another, more amazing plan that I could ever imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment