Thursday, February 19, 2009

White as Snow

Beep . . . Beep. . . Beep. I reached out and hit the snooze button for the third time that morning. My roommate groaned and rolled ever. I envied her sleeping peacefully under warm covers when I had to go to work. It was my freshman year at Bible College and I spent weekends walking the campus for eight hours as a security guard. It had been a rough year, growing in my faith in God, apart from my mom and dad’s faith. I dressed and headed down the hall to the lobby.
I pushed the door open and gasped as I took in my surroundings. The entire campus was buried in snow. No foot prints marred this blanket of purity. No mud or pavement sullied the ground. No city sounds echoed off the buildings. I was surrounded by complete tranquility. I stood still in the middle of this serene beauty and silently prayed for this peace to last forever.
The world around me appeared glorious, peaceful and pure. The air was cool and crisp and my heart felt fully alive in the midst of this magnificent splendor. The words of Isaiah 1:18 rang through my mind. “Come now,” says the Lord, “Let us reason together. Though your sins are like scarlet I will make them white as snow.”
When we come to the Father he washes us clean and makes us exquisitely pure. Just like the snow our hearts are peaceful and quiet. We are able to ‘hear’ his whispers in our soul because everything else fades from our minds when our hearts are fixed on Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment